Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Monkeys, Menswear, and Marines



Today’s rant is about something that all the Marines will understand.  My civilian friends may not be aware of this, but the Marine Corps has some strange rules.  One of these rules is that we are not allowed to wear our camouflage utility uniform off-base.  This is our usual, everyday uniform that we usually refer to as "cammies" or perhaps "utilities" if we want to sound more professional.  If a Marine has business to conduct in town, or must travel via civilian transport, then he must change into his civilian clothes or into a dress or service uniform.  If a Marine works in a higher headquarters like the Pentagon, he can't wear his cammies on public transportation to and from work.  He must first change into jeans and a polo shirt.  I have absolutely no idea why this is so.  I’ve had a million conversations with a thousand first sergeants and sergeants major, and not one of them has given me a valid reason for the rule.  The best explanation I’ve ever heard is the somewhat ridiculous claim that it “puts a bad image out there.” 
Judge for yourself—which of the pictures below do you think puts out a better image for the Marine Corps?

This one?


Or do you like this better?
                Believe it or not, the Marine Corps currently favors the second picture.  In fact, I imagine every Marine Staff NCO that saw the top picture spent some time trying to discern if it was taken off-base or not, and to figure out who the guy was in case they wanted to chew him out later.  We Marines will actually sometimes hold what we call “Liberty Formations” where we gather all the Marines together to give them a final safety talk (remind me to describe these jewels to you some time) before they go off on a holiday weekend.  The Marines are required to wear their civilian attire to these formations, and they come looking exactly like you would expect a gaggle of young people between the ages of 19 and 24 to look, which is exactly like the picture above, wearing whatever baggy ridiculous outfit is the latest trend.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why we do this.

            Now for another little wrinkle.  Recently, the Marine Corps adopted a spiffy new running suit.  This spiffy new running suit is approved for wear on liberty.  I’m not bagging on the running suit--I like it.  But why is it okay to wear your sweaty running suit on a shopping trip to Wal-Mart, but if you wear your cammies the world will stop turning?  Riddle me that, Batman.

Pretty Spiffy
What's wrong with this, though?


What I'm not understanding is the institution's apparent hate of its own uniform.  And I must say, that as far as working uniforms go, it beats the other services hands down.  At least that's my unbiased opinion.  So what's the big deal?


I offer this by way of explanation.  There is a little story I heard once, first in a speech from Colonel Robert E. Lee (his real name) at The Basic School in Quantico upon my graduation there in 1999, and have since repeated countless times.  I researched it on the internet, but I have been unable to determine the original author.  I’ve taken to calling it the “Story of the Monkeys and the Cold Water.”  It goes like this:

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the monkeys with ice-cold water.


After a while, another monkey will make an attempt with the same response – all of the monkeys get sprayed with cold water. Keep this up for several days, and then turn off the cold water. If, later, another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it even though no water sprays them.

Now, remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. As soon as he makes a move to do so, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he learns that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will get the crap beaten out of him.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. An interesting point: the previous newbie takes part in the ass-whipping with enthusiasm. Replace the third original monkey with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four monkeys that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey. But they don’t let that bother them.

Continue replacing the fourth and fifth original monkeys, and now all the monkeys who have ever been sprayed with cold water have been replaced. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs.


            And that, Devil Dogs, is why you cannot wear your cammies out in town.  Maybe there was once a good reason, but nobody seems to remember it now.  But that won’t stop the first sergeant from tearing you a new butthole if he catches you at the gas station in your cammies.  We wouldn't want you to give the Corps a bad name...

www.despair.com


10 comments:

  1. This is a very good example story. You get an A on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, thank you, Dear Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they just don't want you mistaken for every redneck who can buy camo at Wal-mart. Makes it a positive, really. I know they don't really look the same, but the general population wouldn't notice the difference if something went down and they wanted to blame somebody. I vote for the monkeys, personally. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, there is no "they" that has any idea why this is anymore. That's my whole point. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but after 20-plus years these kinds of things can drive you crazy.

      Delete
  4. Commanders and SgtMaj don't want other civilians to associate the cammies with any ridiculous behavior. If they are in civvies (regardless how shitty) "they" have plausible deniability as a whole. Even though later on media reports will say Marines did this or that... this is the only reason I can postulate that cammies cannot be worn off-base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, you failed to mention that civvies have to meet reasonable standards of appropriateness as well. The two gentlemen pictured above with non-fitting trousers (overly loose, and long) or hanging below the waist would not be tolerated. Torn & dirty civilian clothes are not allowed either, or t-shirts that may be deemed offensive to others. As an enlisted Marine there were formations in which I appeared in civvies before going on extended liberty, and in particularly when going on liberty in a foreign country, to have my civilian attire inspected for appropriateness. On more than one occasion I saw Marines sent back to change before they were allowed on leave.

    Marines are known for our iconic dress blues and greens (Alphas), and that is the image we want to project at all times, the image of a professional. Not all Marines get to the end of their workday in clean pressed cammies, looking like the Marine pictured, pumping gas. It was not unusual for me as an 0311, and a lot of other Marines in physically active jobs to end the day in a dusty, sweaty uniforms. That is why you are not allowed to wear your cammies in public, you cannot allow some Marines to wear them and tell others no, or if you did how would you enforce the rule! I’m not sure why all those First Sargents and Sargent Majors didn’t know the answer, but I hope this answers your question, sir. Another thing only the top from the new jogging suit can be worn with civilian clothing in public.

    With all that I have said about the regulations of Marines in and out of uniform, it only works if the command structure enforces those rules, if not then I’m certain we will all see Marines wearing inappropriate attire, not shaving on weekends, and acting unprofessional. For a reference to the civilian attire regulations, please google “FMTB Civilian Attire Policy”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are presenting the "party line" position. I disagree, obviously. For one, you suggest that clothes such as those pictured are not worn by Marines on liberty, and I beg to differ. I posted a picture of just such a thing, and you can bet that the "command structure" didn't endorse it. This is just what young people do. I wasn't suggesting that their civvies were appropriate, I was pointing out that cammies are better.

      Now, as for your bit about how infantry Marines sometimes get their uniforms dirty (mine gets dirty sometimes too, you know), it's pretty easy to make the regulation prohibit wearing a dirty uniform on liberty but still allow clean ones.

      All the First Sergeants and Sergeants Major knew these answers that you list. I just think these are illogical and unsupported answers.

      Delete
  6. You may want to familiarize yourself with MARADMINS 365/10, and or the Marines Social Media Handbook. You appear to be questioning the correctness of published orders in respect to the Marine uniform and or dress code regulations, not to mention that the information you have provided appears to be incorrect or at least misleading, especially to others that are not Marines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The content is not incorrect, first of all.
      I am in fact disagreeing with a certain policy. This blog is entirely my personal opinion. It's right there in the title. If you disagree, you are free to disregard it. I am familiar with MARADMIN 365/10 and the Social Media Handbook, and I am confident that nothing I write here is defamatory, libelous, morally offensive, or of a classified nature. Your implication kind of pisses me off, frankly.

      Delete
  7. Hey, Walt. I'm really glad to have found this piece. What brought me here was a reactionary Google search to a picture my friend's sister posted of herself with her husband at Disneyland. He's a soldier, and he's wearing his BDUs- what the Marine Corps refers to as cammies. I got out of the Marines in 2009 after for years. I was an armorer with two Iraq humps behind me who had recently picked up Corporal, so I wasn't exactly what you'd call a motivator. At least not by that time. Anyway, seeing the picture filled me with that old contempt that we as Marines were (and if I were to guess, probably still are) instilled with throught our Marine Corps experience. Keep in mind- I know this guy, and I like him. His wife is my best friend's sister whom I've known for 20 years. All that went out the window when I saw him sitting on that Disneyland tram in his "Battle Dress Uniform"- even its designation is ridiculous to me. The USMC mandate, or directive, or whatever they call it might be a bit silly to some people, and I understand why but simply put, its purpose is to distinguish the Marine Corps from the other branches of service. And I don't think I have to tell you that the Corps takes advantage of just about every opportunity to do so with which they are presented.

    ReplyDelete