Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I'll Still Say What I Want

My last post was about the tendency of the Arab world to blame the United States for everything, no matter who does it.  My example was the outrage over the Muhammad Film on YouTube the other day.  I had a few of my more liberal friends try to explain to me that I am generalizing too much, that I took my combat experiences too personally, even that I am prejudiced or even racist.  Well, maybe so.  But I have at least been to the Arab world, and I have spoken to these kinds of folks one on one.  So excuse me for forming a opinion.

Perhaps I lacked enough examples to make my case properly.  Here are some more.

Point #1- This isn't isolated, and there are plenty of them.

The Philippines:

Marawi Muslims burn US, Israeli flags


This one is ironically funny:

This one is in Turkey.  Read the link to see a timeline of the violence.

How outrage against anti-Islam film unfolded 

Sudanese demonstrators attack the U.S. embassy in Khartoum. 

Photograph by: BAZUKI MUHAMMAD
Muslim demonstrators shout slogans and carry Malaysian flags as they march to the U.S. embassy, protesting against an anti-Islamic online video, in Kuala Lumpur.



This "Terrarist" has bad spelling.


Here's an article in the Christian Science Monitor that is taking the usual tactic of the United States these days, arguing that the demonstrations and attacks of the last week or so are the work of radicals, a small minority of the Islamic world.  This may or may not be true, but I will tell you this--the Islamic world includes almost two billion believers.  That's a ""2" and eight zeros.  A small minority of a number like that is still a giant problem.  Also, if there are so many more "moderate" people in these countries, why don't they get a handle on this crap?


Point #2- Their logic is stupid.

Sudan Embassies Attack: Protesters Target British, German Embassy In Khartoum



This film was made by immigrants to the United States from Egypt.  It was not made by an American or Israeli film company.  If it was, it would have been a shitload better and more clever.  It certainly doesn't involve freaking Germany.  Here's a mental model for you-- a retarded Spanish kid comes up and tells me I'm ugly and my mother dresses me funny.  I get my feelings really hurt and I go set fire to a dumpster behind the Chinese embassy and burn a Pakistani flag.  Wouldn't that be random and kind of stupid?  Well, that's what these protesters are doing, only more violently and with less provocation.

Some more examples:

Photograph by: MOHAMMAD ISMAIL
Nato soldiers arrive at the site of a suicide bomb attack in Kabul September 18, 2012. Afghan insurgent group Hezb-e-Islami claimed responsibility on Tuesday for the suicide bomb attack on a minivan carrying foreign workers that killed 12 people including eight South Africans saying it was retaliation for a film mocking the Prophet Mohammad.
Photograph by: STRINGER
Lebanese Islamists wave Syrian Opposition flags to express solidarity with Syria's anti-government protesters as they burn an Israeli and a U.S. flag to protest against a film they consider blasphemous to Islam and insulting to the Prophet Mohammad, in Tripoli, northern Lebanon.
Photograph by: OMAR SOBHANI
An Afghan protester shouts slogans near burning tyres during a demonstration in Kabul September. Thousands of protesters took to the streets of the Afghan capital, setting fire to cars and shouting "death to America", in a demonstrations against a film mocking the Prophet Mohammad.


I'm sorry, but it is difficult to have respect for people who think like this.  What they are really attacking is our very FREEDOM.  That's what blasphemy laws are all about--making it illegal to speak out against religion.  That is the polar opposite of freedom of speech.  The fact that we allow people to express themselves is what offends these people.  That is what they are really protesting.  They think the American government should control what you say, so that you don't say anything that offends them.  Fuck that.

I also heard the argument that the anti-Muhammad film protesters are no different than the "tea-party" groups in the USA.  To that I say--BULLSHIT.  They may be just as angry, and even just as religious, but they don't set fire to any embassies or murder any ambassadors.  I'm no teabagger, but let's be honest.  

The Daily Show's take on it...

And this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment